Thursday, July 18, 2013

Little Sun

Artist Olafur Eliasson created this optimistic project about bringing light to people without electricity. I just watched a video interview here.

Another exciting discovery today was Berndnaut Smilde. He creates clouds inside of a room, and photographs serve to record the display. During an interview with Avant/Garde Diaries, he said about his own work:

     "A lot of my work deals with the situation of duality: questioning inside and outside, temporality,
     size and function of materials. I’m really interested in work that exits between reality and
     representation in a way that it doesn’t really function in the end. So, as for the clouds, they’re just
     there. They’re building up, at the same time they’re falling apart."

I find myself returning to this idea of the temporal, that nothing last forever and everything is in a constant state of change. I started overlapping images of clouds and water, things that fluid. It's not getting me where I want to be yet, but this idea of clouds...it intrigues me. You can watch them shift and change. Smilde's images are elegant and thought provoking and certainly had inspired me.

No comments:

Post a Comment