Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Get to Work

Studio day today. I've been feeling a little immobilized after the residency. The critiques I felt so inspired by while I was there are now haunting me. Each time I try to make something, I keep feeling pressured by the voices of future viewers, asking me why I'm doing this, why it matters, how is it relevant. So, I'm going to paint something for a little bit. I haven't done a pure painting for a while. I'm not going to ask myself anymore questions today. Right now, it might just be more important to make something, and it doesn't matter what. A favorite Chuck Close quote I like to think of at times like this says, "Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work..." So that's what I'm going to do.

A little kick start came from this article by Arno Rafael Minkkinen. Read it here and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment