Monday, November 3, 2014

Mentor Meeting 2

I had my second meeting with Cameron Martin two weeks ago. At the end of our first meeting, I had decided to continue working with abstract imagery, and begin experimenting with materials. My last post with the sliced flower imagery was an extend of my abstract work. I continued this with another piece as well, but found neither of these pieces resonated with me or expanded my exploration of time and space. I decided to then do multiple pass prints, like I had done previously with the window and the door prints, but this time on fabric and with imagery showing a progression of time (through a series of movements).








This second, horizontal piece is harder to read. It was a time lapse of ice cubes melting and moving across the plate. In hindsight, the light color of the ice cubes makes this image difficult in multiple passes, where the white is not preserved. I also applied strips of tape, adding and removing stripes for each pass through the printer, as a way to the measure analogue time. Some stripes remained on the entire time, some just one pass and some multiple passes. Overall, these pieces are more interesting to me, and are beginning to speak to a collapse of time that happens in the digital world. 

I also created a few time lapse movies, in which I jumbled up the frames so that the evidence of time passing is visible, but the progression is lost. 


Cameron was particularly interested in this time-lapse piece:


The screen door behind the main door created a grid-like pattern that appear to be an almost digital technique that was not created digitally. The stagnant nature of the shot causes the viewer to question what's beyond the edge of the frame, and it can almost seem to be a set-up of just a door. Cameron pointed out with much of my work, the digital sits on the surface, but with this piece, the digital takes a more secondary place. Cameron encouraged me to continue experimenting with materials, without self-censoring and wondering if what I'm doing is "right"--something I've found myself constantly doing as I approach the final semesters of this program.

After our meeting, I went to the MoMA to see the Christopher Williams show. I'm glad Cameron had mentioned to look for the red pamphlet that accompanied the show. It was a great show to see, and also just good to see the rest of the MoMA's collection. I haven't been for a couple years, and it was fun to see work I have now written about.

Christopher Williams

Christopher Williams

Christopher Williams

Christopher Williams 
Giacomo Bella


Marcel Duchamp

Eadweard Muybridge

Eileen Quinlan

Mariah Robertson

Walead Beshty

John Coplans

Robert Gober

1 comment:

  1. Digital time collapse... We are on the same wavelength, my friend. :-D

    I am also very intrigued by the video, but the printmaking aspect of these other pieces of course tickles me. The shuffled shots still suggest time and progression, but without predictability. It's the mosaic effect I feel I talked about ad nauseum in my last paper.

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete