Sunday, September 21, 2014

Flower cut

I am continuing to work with the abstract slicing technique I started at the beginning of last semester. Below is my most recent image and video created from it:




I tried to make the video smoother, with more frames. Photoshop can apparently only handle 72 frames per animation, so I had to make it in 4 segments and piece it together in iMovie. It was extremely time consuming, and I'm not entirely thrilled with it. I think flowers were not the best choice. I wanted an image with shallow depth of field, which would kind of snap together in the center at the flowers, but remain fairly abstract until that moment. The flowers sit on top too much though, I need to reconsider that technique, probably fragmenting the image differently. The flowers are too decorative I think as well. I am now working with images that are more snap shots of my life. I think it will make the work more personal, while avoiding misleading environmental reads of the work.

I attempted to salvage something usable from the above image, because I did find the lower half interesting. These are some crops. I think a triptych is potentially interesting as well.



I plan to attempt some physical experiments soon. (Waiting for some supplies to come in the mail!) I was looking at Wade Guyton. His work depends on on the conflict between the materials and the printer, often resulting in streaks and other imperfections. I have a couple ideas, but we'll see what happens. In the mean time, I've been researching some of David Hockey's polaroid images, when he'd create large scales collages. He commented in one interview that these collages compressed four hours of time in a single work, and I think including multiple images in my work could be interesting, if it portrays a passage of time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment