Monday, November 24, 2014

3rd Mentor Meeting

I met with Cameron last week for our third meeting. It was a great meeting, and he was very enthused about my new work. I felt this work was interesting, but was a little nervous about it. Our meeting brought some clarity to me and I am very interested in continuing this direction. I brought all of my fabric work so far, including some new work with digital pinhole images and transfers on windows:

Pinhole print on leopard gauze fabric

Multiple pass print behind two panels of the print above

Print on unprimed, wet fabric

3 passes: Pinhole print on primed canvas with gesso

Print of same pinhole image on stretchy fabric.
The print on the left was on unprimed fabric, and 3-4 passes.
The right print was a single pass on primed fabric.

Print on primed rice paper

Detail of mylar

Print on unprimed mylar (same image as printed on rice paper above)



Pinhole inkjet transfer on window

Pinhole inkjet transfer on window
Pinhole inkjet transfer on window

Cameron suggested I look at Sarah Greenburger Rafferty and Sam Falls for the work on fabric. He felt there was still many things to explore in this work, such as layering sheer fabric with one image with a different image underneath. He also suggested maybe introducing a third element, to add a texture or get further off the wall. The work that most interested Cameron was the less literal, more transformative pieces. The pinholes seemed to lend themselves to this ambiguity. We talked about display, and Cameron felt leaving these unstretch, and able to move was important. The fabric lends to the impression of fleeting moments, and also is less referential to traditional modes of photography.

He felt the windows were too heavy, with the frames, too rectangular and clique. The glass might be an interesting direction, but in a different form. I like the idea of trying some more glass pieces, personally because it ties into work I started the program with and it would interesting to see that technique go full circle. 

Overall, the meeting generated many interesting thoughts for me to consider. I am looking forward to continuing this work. I'm very excited about its potential.


3 comments:

  1. Great experimenting! I look forward to seeing your recent work in person in January.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the work you are doing with the Pinhole inkjet transfers on the windows it is vaguely reminiscent of the work you came in with on the glass but much more abstracted. I can't wait to see them up close, it looks like there are a lot of interesting details going on!

    ReplyDelete