Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Magic Realism

I had an excellent meeting with my mentor on Monday. I felt a little on the light side as far as artwork goes, but mostly because I spent a more time on these newer pieces. We ended up talking longer than usual though, and she brought up some pertinent questions on the direction of the work. In particular, she discussed my work in terms of magical realism, a phrase I wasn't very familiar with. Looking at examples of work from this style however, it's easy to see the relation. I plan to do more research on this. Part of me is slightly hesitant about this direction. Perhaps it's my background at an extremely traditional program where I did my BFA, but it starts wandering close to Sci-fi/fantasy genre work. There's a stigma in my mind saying that is not "serious art." There's a part of me that thinks art should be serious. I'm over-thinking it though. These somewhat "supernatural" events in a clear reality is something I am looking to achieve. So for now, perhaps it is best to embrace it.
Questions to consider:
Do I want the viewer to feel like they can enter?
Is this a threatening or safe environment?
What is the edge?
Consider sense of place, sense of space, and memory.

As I talked about my work, I realized many of the buildings I have used to far deal with enlightenment (such as libraries) and spirituality (churches). I think about these buildings also falling in to disuse, or, more accurately, separating from their original intent. In one library, the books had been removed and the rooms were empty to allow tour groups come to see the architecture. A similar story held true for the church. I want to recapture the wonder that caused these buildings to built, the confident authority of the grandiose details, and the utopian ideals of these structures. The viewer should feel like they could enter, but perhaps with apprehension.

Julie encouraged me to not only use "pretty" images, but to find the edge. She suggested blending many time periods together as well, and incorporating modern elements--this was mentioned at our last meeting and I think it is a great idea. Julie warned not to become to formulaic, which was already starting to happen ( though I think that tendency came, in part, from my efforts to understand how things were working together.) She also encouraged me to go really bizarre, to see how far this could be pushed yet still make sense. There is a lot of possibilities here. I feel excited about this emerging series. Now all I need is more hours in the day.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great meeting with your mentor! I am so exited to see how your work continues to evolve. I can see your point about fantasy possibly being stigmatized as not "serious art" but I think it could be a really amazing direction for your work! Plus I obviously love fantastical art! Cant wait to see what you create next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to see your art too. Suddenly, January seems so close! I feel a little nervous about questions people might ask, but I'm trying not think about that yet, haha. I have to make the work first.

      Delete