Sunday, February 23, 2014

Reflections

My most recent piece is probably one of my strongest ones I made this semester. 


I tried some experiments with a small model set up with mirrors. My idea was a false-false image (a reflection of a fictional image).  I was inspired by a MoMA video with Isa Genzken, where she collaborated with a photographer. He made large, wall sized prints that reflected in large mirror wall sculptures by Genzken. 

The reflections caused a confusion of space, between what was image and what was reflection. I thought that was interesting. These are shots of my experiments:




There were 12 inches tall. If I were to actually make it, these would probably be 12-14 feet tall. It was interesting to try. I don't think I'll ultimately go this direction. Something that came up was that I realized I need a ground piece because it played in the reflections. The imagery was from one of my final pieces from last semester and I enjoyed reworking it into this new format.


3 comments:

  1. Hmmm... this is interesting, though. Might be something that ends up getting made after graduate school, even. I think it has huge possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I have a love-hate relationship with mirrors. Mostly, I love them. But often I feel like they can get clique and gimmicky. This is my relationship with much of my art though. I think there is potential here, and I also feel like a full room installation needs to happen at least once so I can get it out of my system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah--I can see that. Just keeping the potential for unwanted "gimmick" in mind when you're working may automatically prevent it from being a problem. Your critical approach should kill any kitsch, but it's good to always be aware of crossing lines.

    ReplyDelete