Tuesday, August 20, 2013

New Transfers

I had my first meeting with my mentor last week, and it went quite well. It's so helpful to be able to talk to someone about what I'm doing, and to get an objective view. I think I'm in a good place overall. I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing, but I'm not completely lost, thankfully!

One of the things my mentor recommended was to gather different materials and do some physical collaging, verses my usual practice of combing things digitally. I just did a transfer today onto illustration board. I have never used this process this way before. I knew it was a possibility, but I always just assumed if that's what I wanted, I could just stick a porous substrate through the printer. This affect is actually quite beautiful though. The pigments sit above the surface in a luminous way that I just love!

These photographs don't show the luminance, but the idea is there:

 


I also drew a grid pattern on the board before I preformed the transfer. My original plan was to cut out parts of this grid to layer with other images, but now I'm hesitating because I enjoy the surface so much. I'll go for it still though. I can always repeat the process if I prefer it.


No comments:

Post a Comment